If you’re a Canadian or Mexican citizen and looking to work in the United States, the TN visa might be a good option for you. Created from the NAFTA Treaty, the TN visa is a non-immigrant visa that allows citizens of Canada and Mexico to work in certain occupations in the U.S. for up to three years, with the possibility of extension.

Here’s everything you need to know about the TN visa:

Eligibility: To be eligible for a TN visa, you must be a citizen of Canada or Mexico and have a job offer from a U.S. employer in a profession listed under the North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA). These professions include:

  • Accountant
  • Architect
  • Computer systems analyst
  • Economist
  • Engineer
  • Management consultant
  • Scientific technician
  • Teacher
  • Dozens of other professions

You must also have the necessary qualifications and education required for the job. For example, if you’re applying for a TN visa as a computer systems analyst, you’ll need to have a degree in computer science or a related field.

Application Process: The TN visa application process is relatively straightforward. You’ll need to:

  1. Find a U.S. employer who is willing to hire you and get a job offer letter from them.
  2. Fill out Form DS-160, the online non-immigrant visa application.
  3. Pay the visa application fee.
  4. Schedule an interview at the U.S. embassy or consulate in Mexico, (or if you are a Canadian citizen, travel to a US Border Entry with Canada).
  5. Attend the interview with all the necessary documents, including your job offer letter and proof of your qualifications.

If your application is approved, you’ll be issued a TN visa stamp in your passport, which will allow you to work in the U.S. for up to three years.

Benefits of TN Visa: The TN visa has several benefits, including:

  1. Fast processing times: TN visa applications are typically processed within a few hours, which means you can start working in the U.S. relatively quickly.
  2. No annual cap: Unlike other non-immigrant work visas like the H-1B visa, there is no annual cap on the number of TN visas that can be issued.
  3. Extendable: You can extend your TN visa for up to three years at a time, which means you can work in the U.S. for a longer period if needed.
  4. Dependents: Your spouse and children under the age of 21 can also apply for a TD visa, which will allow them to live with you in the U.S. while you work.

The TN visa is a great option for Canadian and Mexican citizens who want to work in the U.S. It’s a relatively easy and fast process, and there are several benefits to this visa. If you’re interested in applying for a TN visa, make sure to research the eligibility requirements and the application process thoroughly, and don’t hesitate to seek the advice of an immigration lawyer if needed.

If you are interested in more information about the TN visa, please reach out to the lawyers at SHG Immigration Law via our website at www.shglawpa.com or call our office at 215-330-5244